Saturday, January 31

Den Remodel Phase 1 and prepping for Phase 2

So I have been thinking about how to change my den area so that it would be more usable and give more storage for all my craft and sewing stuff. Anyway I got some money for my Birthday and Christmas, thanks mom and dad!! So thought now is the time, it has been crazy, once I decided I rushed to get the stuff all cleaned out, since I had decided not only to go for the cabinet idea but to go for new wood laminate flooring as well. Boy am I glad I did.

So the Friday before Martin Luther King Day, I went over to Ikea and bought the stuff I needed for the flooring and loaded in my car and came home. Saturday, my dad came over and we removed the carpet and preped the floor. Then we had to let the flooring sit and adjust to the climate of my home, so he came back Monday morning and we started on the floor. It took us all day but it is awesome. Thanks to a wonderful dad that spent a good portion of his weekend on the floor of my den. Anyway here are pictures from phase one:

Strange opening into the crawl space we found covered by the carpet, and we covered it with the new floor!!



Phase 1 complete! Yea!!


Phase 2 starts in a couple of weeks, I went to Ikea today, with my sister Kristi, and got the cabinets, I had already decided I would spend the extra money to have it delivered but I mistakenly thought that meant I could go in order them and leave. OH NO!! You go in figure out what you want, write down your order and go to one of the workers, they type the order in to verify inventory and print out a list that tell YOU where to go to pull all the pieces!! So off we go, we start pulling stuff and quickly fill one flat cart, so get a second, then that gets filled (I am thinking "what am I doing? what was I thinking? Here we are 2 women (both currently having or having had back problems before), pulling approximately 40 boxes (we got some help for the 3 or 4 very heavy pieces but other than that we were on our own. Luckily I could could get most of the pieces they were pretty light individually, you had one box for a door, one box for a drawer side, one box for the frame of a cabinet, one for the shelves. You get the idea, every part was separate!! I was expecting one box that would contain the whole cabinet times 8 for the 8 cabinets that I got. Then you had to get the hinges, there were about 15 little baggies of those. Anyway with Kristi getting 3 dressers today as well, we ended up with 4 flat carts!!! It was crazy. Luckily they will deliver 30 pieces so I took the hinges, and the 10 or so smallest pieces in my car and brought them home, the rest will be delivered (and carried down my stairs) on Feb. 10!! Then the plan is to install them over Presidents Day Weekend!!

6 comments:

Cyd said...

That's very exciting! I hope you find it is all worth it (having to pull all the parts yourself). I really like the new flooring color. Sure makes me wish I could rip up all the berber in my house and get new flooring too!

Kristi Amasio said...

Wow. That sounds like quite the project. The floor looks fabulous! I love it. Can't wait to see the finished project. Have fun!!

Jessica said...

The floor looks beautiful. I'm excited to see what it all looks like when it's done. Good luck!!

Mrs.Goates said...

Wow Wendy, it looks great! It is amazing how laminate floor really changes things! Can't wait to see the finished product.

Steve, Lynn & Brian said...

the floor looks gorgeous! When is your Dad free to come to our place :)? It reminds me of years ago when he came over to help me revitalize Steve's roll top desk. He's a good man!!!

Ethatch said...

Wow! Wendy, that's great! Don't you love this world where we can do these things ourselves--design and accomplish and enjoy!
Marge