Tuesday, February 16

OH the joys of home ownership!!

So many of you know I bought a condo about 4 years ago. The buildings were originally built in 1984 and rented as apartments. Well then a development company purchased the property and came in to remodel each unit then sell them as individual condos.

So I purchased my first "home". Have loved it, it has a great view. The property values went up and now have fallen. But all that is fine and good. BUT...

There had been some issues with how they had repaired the decks and as a result the HOA hired a 3rd party inspector. Come to find out many of the buildings have major issues, structural and water damage!! So the HOA hired some lawyers and we are suing the developers to pay for the approx. $2 million in damages around the property. That is unfortunate and as a result NO ONE can sell as banks will not loan anyone the money!!

But for me the issue has become a part of my daily life!! I have a NICE (sarcastic tone) big hole in my bathroom floor under the linoleum. I have spent the last 2-3 weeks trying to get in touch with the lawyers to see if this would be included in the current litigation. I finally spoke with one of them today and they forwarded my information onto the company in charge of the inspection plan agreed upon by both parties. Long story short, he said he would pass on my pictures (see below) and would try to include it but did not seem too hopeful as the current suit is limited to structural issues (mainly on the decks) and exterior wall water damage. So next for me is to get an estimate of cost for the repairs which could range anywhere from $1000 - $5000 from what a couple of friends/family members that have come and looked at it are saying!!

Oh what fun my spring will be as I look forward to getting this repaired!!


First time we looked under the linoleum to try to see what the issues were... see the rotted wood below, it has fallen and is resting the the insulation below.
Cut back the caulking to see a bit more of the hole. It is approximately 3" by 7" (so far).

The following pictures are taken by me holding the camera down into the whole and trying to get shots going in different directions.



Thanks for letting me vent!!

5 comments:

Cyd said...

That's not going to be a fun thing to get taken care of. I hope it doesn't come out of your pocket anyway.

Mrs.Goates said...

Good luck with it Wendy! I hope everything works out.

Erin said...

That bites!! I hope you get it worked out.

Amalea Hendrickson said...

Any news yet on if the lawsuit will pay for this? I sure hope so!
By the way... I love your background page... so pretty!

Kaela said...

Oh no!! We just bought a home built in 1904- I wonder what adventures await us?! Hope this gets fixed for you soon!!